"There are key questions asked by the Nuttall Review, the answers to which provide a health check for the state of employee ownership. These questions are set out below, and I would encourage all those promoting employee ownership, whether in Government or not, to use this health check to monitor their progress towards making employee ownership a mainstream part of the UK economy.
An employee ownership health check
How well can these questions be answered?
- Is the meaning of employee ownership sufficiently clear?
- Does the expertise and experience exist among professional advisers and more generally across the business community to support employee ownership?
- Are the benefits of employee ownership understood and are they demonstrated by success stories, backed up by research?
- Are there practical tool kits in use to implement every form of employee ownership?
- Is there Government support for employee ownership backed up by incentives and a commitment to remove obstacles?
- Do we have the necessary champions of employee ownership?
- Is there an ambitious target against which we are measuring success?"